The delta of a few large European rivers, combined with a spit-on distance from both Britain and the Baltic Sea, makes the Netherlands a kind of Singapore on the North Sea.
If no coal can be removed from the ground, it is oil and gas.In combination with the liberal social-democracy, the yields for the majority benefit the country itself, not just their rulers.
Because of this location, it was a walk away from travellers and immigrants who brought new ideas and insights.There were also many entrepreneurial, some of the largest Dutch companies originated from this.
The idea of working to work and not until the money is received, or the harvest is inside and the snow outside.
In addition to the discovery of mineral resources and trade with colonies and the Baltic States, the invention of cooperative banking had been the biggest boost of the Dutch economy.The possession of land and agricultural machinery was no longer just for men’s peasants and landlords, and bad harvests no longer meant leaving the farm and on the way to the city (while traveling a few more children or giving away to the monastery).
No king of Prussia or a French despot who had trouble with my and Dijn, or generals who had more ambition than their ministry instructed them. Peace + stability = prosperity.
The ingenuity to do more with less, and to calculate what the least work is but it yields the most (or not within the stipulated frameworks).Call the Dutch avarice, I call it Dutch efficiency. Wealth is the result of labor.Labor adds value to pre-existing materials. This work does not have to be done yourself, with other people or machines can also do the work. A piece of wood is worth less than the clogs that you can cut out. Gold is not worth anything until someone is going to win it.
Where a relatively high value is added to existing materials, wealth is also the greatest.An incentive to work becomes greater if the reward is greater. Where you (almost) have to give up all the fruits of your labor to the state, a boss, a greedy family or to criminals you will not have too much trouble in labor. A certain freedom, equality and a good legal system are clearly positive in relation to wealth.
When we look to Western Europe and thus to the Netherlands, we see that there is relatively more freedom and equality since the Middle Ages.Farmers were often boss on their own grounds and craftsmen deserved reasonable and could spend most of their merits themselves or invest.
Colonialism (the work of others for your prosperity) has certainly contributed but much less than is often claimed, although some families have become very wealthy.Presumably, the colonies contributed 1% -5% to the total GDP in the Republic in the 18th century. The remaining 95%-99% came from own labour and trade within Europe and the Mediterranean.
We have become rich by not staying behind the garaniums.. A people of entrepreneurs and a people who did not eliminate challenges.. Read the history on it and then you understand why.Hunger has perhaps driven them to find out what was knocked out of stories.. Risks were not shuned.. The road to indie had already been discovered, but the Dutchmen did not shake violence to conquer their trade.. Just look what happened in Malacca.. Brazil.. New York.. South Africa.. With trade wealth came power and capital to build handels and warships.. Pirates were given a free letter to hijack Spanish ships.. Another time when the Hollanders were just fine.
At the end of the 17th century we were the richest country in the world. Who wouldn’t be jealous of that.
Personally, I think we have not always excelled militarily in decisiveness.. Prowess.. Trade and gain came first and that is still so..
Niek has mentioned important reasons.What I would add to this is the unique location. Both at sea and on (the mouth of) important rivers that also flow through densely populated an economically important countries (Germany and France and to a lesser extent Switzerland and Belgium).
I think partly because the Netherlands is mainly a tertiary country. They have a lot of services, financial products, ICT and trade, etc.This yields a lot of 鈧?p/m2, more as primary like farms, etc. Or secondary such as factories. They are here, but not in the quantity, of countries that have a larger area. Furthermore, because the Netherlands is a small country in terms of surface area, much less travel is needed. This brings as a result that companies need to open fewer branches, and have easier access to the best of the whole country.
A small country, indeed, is true, but rich land has been, the poverty that prevails now is hidden and very large,