There is no blanket answer to this question, because it always depends on which goal you want to pursue with the social media networks.
When it comes to reach, the numbers are in the foreground.But not always is the absolute size and range that really helps in the end. It makes sense to test different networks and communities to see which networks and activities work best for your own audience.
The social media world is very diverse and specialized.Not only the social media “place deer” such as Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, but also topic and niche networks and especially communities can reach very well specific target groups.
Focus your target group
Select social networks where your audience is staying:
- Standard networks: Twitter, Facebook, Google+ (profiles, pages and groups/communities)
- For B2B communication and recruiting: XING, LinkedIn (profiles, business pages and/or product pages)
- Visual channels: Pinterest, Instagram, Flickr, YouTube
- Blogging Networks for Content Syndication: Medium, Tumblr, Bloglovin’, LinkedIn Pulse (B2B)
- Special Interest Communities: Reddit, Facebook, Google+, XING, LinkedIn
- Journalists: Torial
- Content Networks: Slideshare, Scribd, Issuu
- Young audiences: WhatsApp, Snapchat
The different social networks provide you with different possibilities for the optimal display of your posts.
They differ essentially in terms of:
- Number of characters allowed for posts and comments
- Optimal image sizes as well as number of images
- Activation of #Hashtags, @Handles, emojis
- Post Formats: Link Post, Image Post Video Post
- Target group approach (private or professional)
And the communities also react very differently to the different formats: For example, with the use of #Hashtags on Twitter, Google+ and Instagram, you can inspire more users for your content, while #Hashtags on Facebook have little effect on the performance of the posting.
For this purpose, posts with pictures and short comments work best on Facebook, while Google+ users like to read longer texts.
Cross-social media marketing across many different networks ensures greater visibility of the content.
Social media automation tools and plugins help to automatically support routine tasks during cross-posting, thus creating more time for personal dialogue and influencer marketing.
However, the tools should allow you to plan the social media posts at different times on the networks and customize them for each network and community, and to automate the customizations as much as possible in order to facilitate personal contact with the community.
For more information on tips and tools for building a cross social media promotion strategy, see the free Social Media Guide incl.Checklist: