Such a media strategy determines the course of a company for the presence and activities in the social media networks.
The social media networks are important communication tools for presenting brands and products and entering into dialogue with customers and interested parties.
Relevant content and an active design of the social media dialogue are the basic prerequisites for a successful social media communication and thus also the basis of a social media strategy.
Here are 10 tips for your social media strategy
1.Focus your target group:
The social media world is very diverse and specialized.Not only the social media “place deer” such as Twitter, Facebook or Instagram, but also topic and niche networks and especially the groups and communities can reach very well specific target groups. Whether you are active in social media as a blogger, consultant or company, it is important above all to analyze the target group accurately and to coordinate the .
Choose social networks to best reach your audiences:
- Standard networks: Twitter, Facebook (profiles, pages and groups/communities)
- For B2B communication and recruiting: XING, LinkedIn (profiles, business pages and/or product pages)
- Visual networks: Pinterest, Instagram, Flickr, YouTube
- Blogging Networks for Content Syndication: Medium, Tumblr, Bloglovin’, LinkedIn Pulse (B2B), Quora
- Google My Business: Business Profile, Google Posts, Reviews, Local Search
- Special Interest Communities: Reddit, Facebook, XING, LinkedIn
- Journalists: Torial
- Content Networks: Slideshare, Scribd, Issuu
- Young audiences: WhatsApp, Snapchat, TikTok
“Content is king” sounds a bit off-putting, but relevant content is the currency on the socialweb.Social media is not an advertising channel. And only what is relevant, helpful or entertaining is read, lied to and shared.
- Share content that really interests your audiences.
- Tips that make your customers’ lives easier.
- Always place advertising for your products and services in the context of useful and relevant content.
3.Visualization: Use strong images and informative videos
The proverb “A picture says more than 1000 words” has also received a very special meaning on social media, because posts with visual content are much more often liked, shared or commented on than posts with pure text.Information with images is remembered 65% longer than text messages. People are also specifically looking for pictures and videos. So visual content can generate extra reach and it bring more traffic from search engines and social media to your website.
- Illustrate your posts and links with graphics, photos or infographics.
- Always share social media posts with an image or as an image post.
Posts as an image post can have a huge impact on the reach and interaction withposts.In addition, image posts on Twitter, Facebook have the advantage that the images are automatically transferred to the image galleries and thus permanently available in the social media profiles.
4.Use social media buttons and strong call-to-action (CTA)
Use social media icons and buttons to follow, like, share and comment in visible places on your website and on all posts, on your blog and also in your newsletter to generate more followers, more likes and more shares and to generate the social media channels with all other communication measures.
The social media buttons alone are often not enough to get readers to act.Use strong call-to-action to actively encourage readers to share, like, or comment on content at the end of a post. Close your articles and blog posts with one or two small sentences to ask questions or ask to share the post with others if they liked it.
5.Use keywords and hashtags
Hashtags are important parameters to make social media posts more discoverable, to link in current discussions (trending hashtags) or to set important keywords.But not all networks use hashtags equally. On Twitter and Instagram they are almost obligatory, also on LinkedIn they are getting more and more, at XING they don’t exist at all and on Facebook they can even have a negative effect on the performance. Nevertheless, they play an important role in finding keywords in most networks. A thoughtful use of strategically chosen hashtags can have a big impact on the visibility and reach of social media posts.
6.Share your posts across many different channels
Cross-social media marketing across many different networks ensures greater visibility of the content:
- Share your posts on Twitter, Facebook, Xing and LinkedIn
- Share your posts on product or business pages on Facebook, XING, LinkedIn, but on different days and at different times.
- Share your posts in relevant groups and communities on Facebook, LinkedIn, but share them here on different days and at different times and use a customized approach for each community.
- Plan your post several times on Twitter and on your XING and LinkedIn timeline, but use different comments, images and use different days and times.
- Share your post on Pinterest, Instagram and Flickr with your focus image and a short description, with hashtags and a link to the post.
TIP: If you have multiple images to your blog post, share them all, but on different days and at different times, and use a different comment that matches the corresponding image.
- Share your post with other pictures as a picture post on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, so you also have different visual and content anchors to share your post repeatedly.
This increases the chance that the contribution will be perceived and extends the life of your contribution.
TIP: Always publish syndicated posts with a 5-7 day delay to the original post so that Google can index the original post first.
7.Content Recycling: Use your content multiple times
Maximize the use of your content by create a media portfolio from each content.For example:
- Turn the most important facts and images into a presentation
- Turn your presentation into a video
- Set your post as a podcast
- Convert long posts into a white paper or eBook and use it as inbound content for lead generation.
- Bring the most important aspects of your post to a checklist or infographic.
Then share every single media format on the social media channels.This way you extend the lifetime of your content and take care of more visibility and attention on the social media channels.
8.Content Curation: Share also contributions from others
Use social media not only for “self-promotion”, but also become a useful resource.Share contributions from other authors, especially industry media and key influencers, that might be of interest to your community.
9.Influencer Marketing: Build relationships with “Key Influencers”
Content Curation also allows you to establish contacts with other social media actors.Inform the author by setting @Handles when you share a post and comment. This allows you to make important contacts, show your appreciation and increase the chance that your posts will also be shared.
Interact with the contributions of the most important influencers and get involved in important discussions.This way you can also profile yourself in the community of influencers.
10.Use Social Media Automation
Manually sharing and scheduling posts on the various channels is time-consuming and resource-intensive.Social media automation tools and plugins help to automatically support routine tasks during cross-posting, thus creating more time for personal dialogue and influencer marketing.
However, the tools should allow you to schedule social media posts at different times on the networks and customize them for each network and community to support personal contact with the community.
Learn more about tips and tools for building a social media strategy