That depends. The fact is, social media marketing requires a strategy.However, the social media strategy should not be island communication, but should be integrated into the overall strategy of the company. This applies in particular to content marketing.
Today, the social web expects companies to communicate authentically and transparently and to engage in active dialogue.The social networks are not an advertising channel or a press centre, but live on an active dialogue with the communities.
An agency cannot usually adopt the entire social media strategy, but can take over certain aspects, such as social media advertising or content seeding or social media monitoring.However, this should always be done in close coordination with marketing communication.
With the help of a well-organized social media strategy as well as with smart social media tools for planning and automation, social marketing can also be implemented in-house.
How we organize our social media strategy
Our social media planning is very closely integrated into the entire marketing planning.For us, social networks are a primary content seeding, dialogue and feedback channel.
The most important building block for our social media strategy is content marketing.Our content marketing is based on tips, guides and current industry topics that we prepare for our customers.
Content marketing as a basic strategy
In order to develop content that really interests our customers, we collect feedback from our customer dialogue and support.This allows us to take up current challenges and problems and develop technical articles (blog posts/white papers/checklists/tutorials), answers for FAQs, instructions and tips. We then use the content to create core content, as we do on our website, or publish our blogs. Our corporate blogs serve as editorial offices. Here we publish and analyze our posts and collect feedback from comments and social media discussions.
Tools: We organize our content and editorial planning with the following tools:
- The messaging app” Slack” allows us to communicate in real time, create different group chats for specific concerns and share pictures, documents or links.
- The project management software Trello allows us to organize different projects in boards.
We can add members and deadlines to the various “tasks”. Within the cards created, we can also respond to the comments of our colleagues. Since Trello allows you to link documents from popular cloud spaces, such as Google Drive, and automatically reminds us if there is something new, we can organize our entire collaboration here.
The tool allows us to collect blog posts, editorial plans, Excel spreadsheets, presentations and campaigns in one place and to vote and edit them quickly and easily. Thanks to the comment function, we can leave comments and tips to our colleagues or integrate suggestions for improvement directly into the documents. This allows us to greatly shorten our voting loops and spend more time creating new blog posts or interacting on social media.
Multiple exploitation of content
To maximize the utilization of a developed core content, we develop various media formats (satellite content):
- Blog posts / Technical articles / Online press releases / Guest articles
- Images, graphics, and infographics
- Presentations and videos
- checklists, white papers or e-books.
SEO optimization of content
An important measure in content marketing is the optimization of content for readers and search engines, because “only what is searched can also be found“.This involves read-friendly text structures, comprehensible and clearly structured texts and important keywords.
- The text analysis tool checks online texts for readability and read duration, sentence length and sentence structure, fill words, modal verbs, phrases and foreign words as well as keywords and links.
Content seeding via social media and media portals
For the distribution and seeding of our content, we share our blog posts and images as well as the other content formats on our social mediachannels.Cross-social media marketing across many different networks ensures greater visibility of the content.
For this purpose, we develop a cross-promotion plan to publish the content, time-delayed and individually adapted, in parallel on many different channels.
The different social networks provide different possibilities for the optimal presentation of the posts and content.And the communities also react very differently to the different formats: the use of #Hashtags on Twitter, and Instagram is an essential element for the reach and visibility, while #Hashtags on Facebook has little effect on the performance of the Postings. For this purpose, short posts with pictures and short comments work best on Facebook, while medium users like to read longer texts.
For the planning of the content on our social media channels, we have established a comprehensive cross-posting and scheduling plan, which we also provide to our customers as a guide and work aid (see reading tips below).
Social media automation greatly simplifies this process and gives us more time to interact with our communities.
- With Blog2Social WordPress Plugin and the Blog2Social WebApp we organize the planning and automated distribution of social media posts on many different networks, profiles, pages and in groups.
With Blog2Social, we can automate our social media activities with customized social media posts. Blog2Social offers various features for scheduling and automated sharing of posts, links or images. And it also helps to maintain a personal relationship with the communities with individually tailored social media posts for each social network.
Blog2Social shares social media posts, links, images or videos in parallel on multiple social media profiles, pages and in groups on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, XING, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, Flickr, Reddit, Diigo, Medium, Tumblr, Bloglovin’, VK.
In addition, we use targeted content seeding via online PR with press releases, technical articles and guest articles to distribute our content on specialist portals, news and press portals, topic blogs and other online media.
- PR-Gateway offers a wide spread of online news on more than 250 themed and press portals, blogs and new services.
Cross-posting and seeding as well as the extensive distribution of contributions, campaigns and images as well as other content formats in parallel on several channels, helps us to generate many touchpoints for customers and interested parties and thus also the lead generation and customer acquisition.
Content Curation and Influencer Relations
Contacting industry leaders and influencers helps us build our online reputation and gain more reach.By contentcuring the content of the influencers, we ensure more content diversity and relevance on our channels and at the same time get more attention to our own content.
- Also for content curation we use the Blog2Social WordPress plugin and the Blog2Social Browser Extension, with which we share posts that we find on the net or store in our blog or in the blog2Social WebApp to make them a later time planned to share.
More tips for the social media strategy:
- Guide: Social Media Strategy
- Guide Social Media Cross-Promotion
- How to create the perfect social media editorial plan and save more traffic for your blog
- Smart Social Media Automation and Planning for Blogs and Social Media Teams
- The ultimate checklist for bloggers
- Guide Social Media Cross-Promotion
- Publishing on the Internet – New Ways in Online PR and Corporate Communications
- New Opportunities and Strategies for Content Marketing and PR
- 5 Steps to a Successful Content Marketing Strategy