We want lawyers to be able to provide answers to questions about legal matters and problems without hesitation.Quora’s policy reads: When answering legal questions, a lawyer should not give a reader the impression that he is responding to specific legal questions from individuals, otherwise he or she is inadvertently in a lawyer-client relationship with the questioner or reader. This “inadvertently created relationship” may lead to a number of potential problems for the lawyer, including the non-authorized practice of the legal profession, confidentiality, conflicts of interest with current or future clients and liability for the Violation of professional obligations.
- Questions relating to legal matters must not ask for advice on specific matters.
- A question can describe a general situation, presentation, or problem.
- The question should withhold enough details to clearly show that the question does not describe the legal problem of an actual person.
- Lawyers providing answers on legal issues can provide general guidance, context, or illustration, but they should not include specific advice or recommendations.
- Lawyers should not advertise for users or advertise on the site. Lawyers, for example, should not offer to represent users, as this could violate federal advertising licensing rules.
- Lawyers should also ensure that they do not violate the lawyer-client privilege, do not abuse client trust, or inadvertently disclose confidential information — for example, if they have hypothetical cases which could be traced to the clients to determine.
Personal news on Quora
- If a user contacts a lawyer via the message feature on Quora and communicates confidential information, the attorney should respond in accordance with the ethical guidelines of the Bar Association of his or Her state , just as he would reply if: someone would call him and leave a voice message or write an email.
Add a legal disclaimer to a response
- Lawyers or law students who respond to Quora’s questions related to law or related fields should identify themselves as licensed lawyers or law students and add a disclaimer at the end of their legal answers .
- Quora makes it easy for users who are lawyers or law students to attach a personalized legal disclaimer when answering questions about law (and similar issues).
- Adding a disclaimer ensures that the text of the disclaimer is visible wherever the response text appears.
The disclaimer appears in a visually separated area below the response. It is truncated and only the first line is visible. There is an option for the reader to view the entire text.
- By clicking on this link and following the instructions, you as a user can create the disclaimer and add it to your answers.
- If you add a disclaimer for the first time as a correspondingly authorized user, the following text template can be found in the editing box, which you can use or edit as follows:
This answer is not a substitute for professional legal advice.
- This legal disclaimer (the standard version or an edited version) appears as a disclaimer in your answers to the legal topic.
After you put it on for the first time, you can change the personalized disclaimer in the settings. Please note: Editing the text will cause the text to change for all previously publishedreplies.
You can remove a disclaimer from a response by editing that response and clicking on the “X” next to the disclaimer text.
However, the ethical rules vary by state and country. Therefore, we are not sure whether this text applies to every lawyer anywhere in the world — especially because the rules may change over time. You may need to change or extend the disclaimer in accordance with your country’s regulations.