According to a psychologist who is personally known to me, when parents think that their child is highly gifted, this is generally not highly gifted, but behaviorally disturbed.This is only in advance information.
Probably the “best” reliable method of clarifying whether a child is highly gifted is to perform a professional IQ test with a psychologist or similar.The problem: If there is no reason for the appropriate diagnosis to be carried out, you have to pay for it privately. You’ll get rid of about 200-300 €. I can therefore understand that the questioner wants to know at least signs of whether there might be a talent.
Edit: If the child is at least 14 years old (source: Mensa in Germany (MinD)), an alternative to an IQ test can be performed on Mensa.Dates can be found under Intelligence Tests The cost for this is 60 € (Source: Mensa in Germany (MinD)).Note, however (Source: Mensa in Germany (MinD)):
“The IQ tests offered by Mensa are carried out in a group situation, so that you can sit in the room together with several people.The test also has a standardized procedure, so that it is difficult to respond to individual needs.”
So if that could be a problem for the child, I would advise against this alternative way.
First of all, it is well known that signs of high talent in girls are more difficult for laymen (and even for experts) to be seen than in boys, as they are “less noticeable” in their signs:
Under How do parents recognize high talent?DGhK e.V. is given the following list:
- The child has a strong interest in his surroundings very early on.
- It starts to speak early, “skips” the baby language, very quickly forms whole sentences and has a great vocabulary.
- Early on, it shows a strong interest in symbols, such as car brands, company logos and then also in letters and numbers.
- It holes adults with questions that build on each other – even on supposedly “age-appropriate” topics.
- It captures complex relationships and transfers them to other questions.
- It’s fun to learn from a wide variety of topics.
- It shows a strong sense of justice and questions decisions of “authorities”.
But once it has understood the meaning of these decisions, it sometimes follows them more than 100 percent.
Showing signs of high talent and characteristics of highly gifted children, the following list for young children is given:
- Your child skips entire stages of development: he learns to walk above average early and often skips developmental steps, such as crawling.
- Striking language behavior: Your child starts to speak early and quickly forms whole sentences and has a large vocabulary early on.
- Immediate eye contact and early eye-hand coordination: Your child shows a great interest in his surroundings at an early stage.
- Very good memory and conspicuously good observational ability
- Early interest in numbers and letters as well as symbols and signs
- Particular sensitivity can also indicate a high level of talent.
- Your child asks many, many questions about non-age-appropriate topics: the child questions a lot and is not simply satisfied with decisions.
At the same time, it is astonishing with its questions and its thirst for knowledge.
Under the same link the following list for older children is given:
- Children with a high level of talent develop far above-average skills at a very early age.
- They show sustained interest in a wide range of areas.
- They are far ahead of their children of the same age.
- Complaints often about boredom
- Refusal to work to joy over difficult tasks
- Unusual solution strategies
- Complicated thinking
- Lack of social contacts with peers (orientation to significantly older people)